Five things I am grateful for today: October 24, 2014 Friday
- It’s Friday. It’s been a long week for me, and I’m happy to have made it and am one more week closer to graduation. Phew.
- I’m not in high school anymore. This may sound like a weird thing to be grateful for, but high school was a terrible time for me. I was really depressed and alone. I had no friends, all I did was go to school and run. Suffice to say, they were not the best years of my life. I skipped prom, I raced through school and graduated in 3 years because I disliked it that much. I stayed home during the entire week of Senior activities because they would have been misery for me.
Why am I bringing this up? Well, today in Washington state there was another high school shooting at Marysville-Pilchuck High School. The gunman is dead, and the details are still developing. I posted my thoughts on FB…
I have some older friends who share how hard their teenage years were. And I myself understand how hard it is. But violence is not the answer. This is why I am anti-gun. These types of incidents would be less frequent if access to guns were harder for kids. This is why we need more open discussion about mental health. This is why we need compassion. We need to care more about people’s feelings and less about our image.
We’re losing what makes us human.
3. I am grateful that today my family and friends are safe.
4. I am grateful for the people in the world who haven’t lost sight of what is important and who smile at strangers, and still strive to do good no matter what.
5. I am grateful for today, you never know what tomorrow may bring.
Make sure to tell your friends and family how much you love them everyday. Never leave a situation unresolved or angry…what if it’s the last time you ever see them?